Here are 7 ways you can reduce your chances of getting the flu. The number one way is to get a flu shot!
1. GET YOUR FLU VACCINE (Contact your clinic for more info, if you’re not a member of the SF Health Network, here is a list of flu shot clinics)
The flu vaccine is your best protection against the flu.
Unvaccinated people can get sick and spread the flu before symptoms start.
2. CLEAN YOUR HANDS (hand washing or alcohol based hand rub)
The flu virus travels from place to place on our hands and can get you and others sick.
We often touch potentially contaminated surfaces and don’t realize it.
Hand hygiene is the SINGLE most effective way to prevent infections!
3. AVOID TOUCHING YOUR FACE
It is easy to touch a contaminated surface and then touch your face without realizing it.
This gives the flu virus and other germs a way to enter your system and get you sick.
4. COVER YOUR COUGH/SNEEZE (use a tissue, then clean your hands)
Covering your coughs and sneezes prevent transmission of the flu virus to those around you and prevents contaminating surfaces.
5. STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK
Stay home until 24 hours have passed w/no fever or flu symptoms without the use of medications.
If you begin to feel sick while at work, notify your manager right away and go home.
6. EAT YOUR FRUITS & VEGGIES
Give your body what it needs to stay healthy and fight sickness!
Remember to always get plenty of rest.
7. STOP SMOKING
Smokers can catch the flu more easily than others.
Smoking weakens your body’s ability to fight off the flu.